Official trips - more than 28 days

An official trip that last more than 28 days is also called a posting. A posting is usually financed by your department or by an external funder.

See below for information about finances associated with postings.

Note: AU's general travel rules must always be followed during postings of longer or shorter duration. This means that expenses not covered by AU’s travel policy will not be reimbursed. This applies even if an external funder approves the expense.

Download Download the pamphlet on postings.


If you are looking for practical information about postings, please visit the going abroad page.

Booking flights and hotels

Booking flights
When you are travelling under the auspices of AU, it is a good idea to consider which means of transport is most appropriate in terms of climate, cost and scheduling. For example, is air travel actually necessary? Could you use an alternative and more climate-friendly means of transport, such as a train, bus or carpooling with colleagues - or some combination of the three?

If air travel is the best option, you are encouraged to buy your tickets from Carlson Wagonlit Travel (CWT). Find the link to the CWT portal etc. on the page about air travel.

Booking a hotel
When booking a hotel, be aware that there is a maximum amount that you may spend per night in some countries. You can find applicable rates in the current version of the circular on rate adjustments for official trips (page 15). Please contact Travel Expense Accounts support team if you have any questions.

In countries where a hotel allowance has not been fixed, reasonable expenses for a hotel room with a bath or other suitable accommodation is reimbursed. "Suitable" accommodation means a room of hotel-like standard with a toilet and bathroom in the immediate vicinity, usually with the option of meals in the form of breakfast. Remember to save any receipts/documentation for when you settle in RejsUd.

Decrease in the amount available for a hotel beginning on the 29th day of the trip
The amount available for hotel bookings abroad and in Greenland is reduced by one-fourth as of the 29th day, cf. Section 35(2) of the circular on the agreement on official travel.

Read more on the page about booking hotels.

Travel insurance

Europæiske handles travel insurance on behalf of AU.

Cancellation insurance
You may not buy additional cancellation insurance because AU/the state is self-insured. This means that state institutions, including AU, may not take out insurance, but are regarded as having taken out insurance. Consequently, AU will have to pay for any damage for which the university may be found to be liable, and therefore acts as its own insurance company. AU is, thus, both employer and insurance company. This follows from the Self-Insurance Circular CIR no. 9783 of 9 December 2005 (Selvforsikringscirkulæret).

Settlement and documentation

Settle on an ongoing basis
We recommend that you settle on an ongoing basis via RejsUd in connection with a posting. The benefits of ongoing settlement:

  1. Easier expense settlements that require less documentation each time
  2. Less risk of deductions from your salary in relation to credit card transactions that exceed the local deadline for settlement (contact your secretariat for information about the deadline).
  3. Less risk of lost receipts/documentation

What receipts/documents should you save?
Save the receipts/documents of anything that needs to be reimbursed.
Dankort receipts are not sufficient documentation.
What has been purchased and how much of the amount constitutes VAT must be stated clearly on any documentation.
If necessary, take photos of documentation/receipts during your trip.

Lost documentation
If it is not possible to provide a receipt, the purchase, the amount, the VAT and the date can be specified in a statement of truth, via email or in a comment in the settlement.

If the purchase exceeds DKK 130, an email or comment on the form is not sufficient, you must use a statement of truth.

A tip: Take pictures of your receipts during your trip.

Statement of truth

Settlement after the amount has been deducted from your salary
If credit card transactions related to AU have been deducted from your salary, you should settle all expenses as ‘Kontante udlæg’ (out-of-pocket expenses) in RejsUd.

Please contact the RejsUd support team if you need help settling in Rejsud.

Storage/sale of home contents

Storage/relocation of home contents
Moving the current content of your home (household effects) is tax-free. However, moving accompanying family members’ home contents is taxable.

Remember to get approval for both the relocation and storage of the content of your home from the department management team or equivalent before you go abroad.

Profit from the sale of home contents
If the content of your home was acquired in connection with the posting and the purchase was financed by AU or by a grant, then it is the property of AU. The surplus from any sale must be paid to AU. Click here for information on how to make a payment to AU.

If an invoice for the sale has not been prepared, please send an email to: Write the name of the payer and the amount in the subject field. Include the accounting details (type, project and activity number) and the desired text on the deposit in the email.

Buying and renting a means of transport – how?

Purchasing a means of transport is not permitted, and must be defrayed as a private expense..

Renting a car abroad may be necessary if using public transport to get to the destination is prohibitively difficult or impossible. It may also be necessary if the cost of transport at the destination is considerably more expensive than usual, and is therefore not covered by the rate for hourly and daily allowances.

The cost of the car rental must be approved by the department management team or equivalent before you depart for your posting.