Here you can find answers to work-related questions in connection with coronavirus. If you have any further questions, please contact your immediate supervisor. For more information please click here (in Danish).

Working from home

What does it mean that I have to work from home?

It means that you are to perform your normal work duties from home to the extent possible. Working hours have not been changed, but can be scheduled flexibly. What is important is that the work gets done. Employees should discuss the prioritisation and performance of their work tasks with their immediate supervisor to agree on a plan for working under these special conditions.

All of the normal rules on the organisation of work, calling in sick, absence registration, holiday, and so on will remain in force during this period.

Will I still get paid?

Yes, you will receive your pay – even if it’s not possible for you to perform your work. Because you are still at work, your employer has the right to decide what tasks you should perform during working hours and assign you to tasks as needed. This also applies to hourly-paid technical/administrative staff.

Part-time teaching staff including student teachers (DVIP) will receive payment for planned lessons (even though these lessons are cancelled). However, the immediate manager should consider the possibilities for distance learning and/or for working from home during this time. 

What if I can’t do as much work as usual because I have to mind my children?

If you are finding difficult to work at home, for example because you are minding children, who have been sent home from school/preschool, you should discuss your situation with your boss to work out how to organise your tasks in a flexible way that allows you to balance your responsibilities. 

Can I make an agreement with my boss to take time off in lieu, holiday time or other forms of leave?

Yes, you can. Talk to your boss about it. Time off in lieu, holiday or other forms of leave that are already planned should be taken as usual.

Gradual reopening

Can I meet on campus physically from 21 May?

As of Friday 21 May, 20 per cent of the university’s employees will be able to come to work on site. This percentage is in addition to the employees who are already working on campus in connection with research, teaching and critical functions. The percentage is set to increase to 50 per cent as of 14 June, and as of 1 August, all of the university’s employees will be able to work on site. Attendance is agreed with immediate supervisor – and requires a max. 72-hour-old negative Covid-19 test (antigen or PCR test). Read more under guidelines for testing.

Who decides whether I should go to work or stay home?

Your immediate supervisor decides whether you should go to work or work from home. 

Will the Covid-19 test be during working hours?

If you have to be tested in connection with attendance on campus, the test will generally be during your normal working hours, and the time spent should be registered as such. 

If you have to be tested for reasons other than attendance on campus, the test will be in your spare time.

Who checks my Covid-19 test?

AU is under an obligation to ensure a healthy and safe study and work environment. Your immediate supervisor is responsible for ensuring that the employees comply with the requirement for test - and employees must be able to present relevant documentation upon request from their immediate supervisor.  Read more under guidelines for testing.

Will the vaccination against Covid-19 be during working hours

As a rule, vaccination against Covid-19 should take place outside working hours, see the rules for medical appointments.  

Can I be asked to perform work I was not hired to do?

In principle, you must do the work you were hired to do. However, in this extraordinary situation, you may be asked to perform other tasks. 

What should I do if I belong to a high-risk group (e.g. chronic illness or pregnant)?

You should pay special attention to the general advice from the health authorities on reducing the risk of infection, including strict hygiene and distancing. You do not have to work from home. This is because the authorities don’t assess the risk of infection in the workplace as higher than in society in general.

In special cases, you and your manager may agree relocation to other assignments or working from home on the basis of a doctor's certificate.  

Can I be asked to change my normal working hours?

In connection with the gradual reopening of AU’s campuses, the senior management team has decided that work in the research labs may be scheduled between 7:00 and 23:00 seven days a week during this period. In this extraordinary situation, there is a need for mutual flexibility and willingness to find solutions to how work is to be organised quickly and pragmatically, within the framework of applicable collective agreements and working hours regulations, in order for the few functions that now have access to campus to succeed.

This means that you can make a voluntary agreement to reschedule your working hours in dialogue with your manager and your union representative, if this is possible for you.


Can I change my holiday plans if I don’t want to take my holiday due to the coronavirus?

In principle, agreed/scheduled holiday must be taken as planned.

The normal holiday rules still apply. You can find additional information about the general rules here.

Should I still stay home for 10 days after a trip abroad if I take a COVID-19 test when I return to Denmark?

Please find more information here.

What applies if the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Denmark advises against travelling to specific areas, and an employee goes on holiday to one of these areas?

Please find more information here.

Sick leave

What should I do if I get sick?

You must follow instructions from the health authorities. Do not go to work if you have any symptoms or are ill. Stay at home until you have completely recovered and have been without symptoms for 48 hours.

When a citizen is infected with COVID-19, preventive measures must be taken quickly and effectively in collaboration with government agencies and institutions in order to prevent infection. This includes identification of the people an infected person has been in close contact with. In general, this will be the people the infected person is living with, individual colleagues at work and possibly friends and family.

If you have COVID-19 and have been in close contact with your colleagues, you should notify your immediate supervisor immediately. Your supervisor will then notify any people you have been in close contact with about possible infection. They will be sent home and encouraged to get tested and self-isolate until they know the results of the test.

As usual, you should notify your manager of illness and absence in accordance with your unit’s guidelines. You are not obliged to provide information about the nature of your illness, but in this special situation, you are encouraged to inform your manager if your illness is likely to be a result of coronavirus/COVID-19. This will make it possible for the university to apply for sick leave benefit reimbursement in connection with your absence.

Absence due to illness will be registered as usual.

Read the guidelines for employees and managers: How to handle COVID-19 symptoms and infection at AU

Can I get parental benefits if my children are sent home as a result of COVID-19?

Yes. Until 30 June 2021, parents with children who have been sent home as a result of COVID-19 can receive parental benefits for up to 10 days of absence per child, cf. section 26(a) of the Act on Entitlement to Leave and Benefits in the Event of Childbirth (barselsloven).

It is a condition that:

  • Your child is under 14 years of age.
  • Your child has been sent home as a result of cases of infection with COVID-19 in childcare centres, schools or institutions, or that your child is infected with COVID-19.
  • You – (both parents, if they live at the same address) – cannot work from home.
  • You – (both parents, if they live at the same address) – have used all childcare days and any time off in lieu.
  • You do not receive pay or take holiday on the days in question.

You must present documentation to Udbetaling Danmark – the Public Benefits Administration to show that your child has been sent home, or present a COVID-19 test which shows that your child is infected with COVID-19. Aarhus University must inform Udbetaling Danmark – the Public Benefits Administration that you cannot work from home and that you do not have any childcare days or time off in lieu available, and that you do not receive pay or take holiday during the same period. Benefits can only be disbursed to one parent per day and only for full days of absence.

Compliance with the general terms and conditions in relation to benefits entitlement, including the employment requirement, in the Act on Entitlement to Leave and Benefits in the Event of Childbirth (barselsloven) is required. Absence must be reported by Aarhus University via

The adopted legislation can be found here (in Danish).

Recruitment & employment

What will be done about new employees who were set to start a new job at AU while AU employees are working from home?

All new employees will take up their positions as agreed – however without being able to physically come to work on campus while the university’s buildings are closed. All will receive the agreed salary as usual. An agreement can be made to postpone starting a new position if this is considered appropriate and the immediate supervisor and the new employee agree on this.

On the website ’Onboarding – the final step in a successful recruitment’, you can find advice on how to onboard new employees when working from home.

Note: Special conditions that apply to international employees, PhD students and guests

Information to international employees, PhD students and guests is available here