Information for hosts for international interns and Erasmus+ placements

AU does not have a central service that handles international interns. The department/school is responsible for processing applications for residence permits and providing guidance to successful applicants. On this page, you will find useful information about residency, housing and insurance. For each topic, we have provided contact information for the unit that can assist with information and advice to the departments/schools when the need arises. Information in English for coming interns is available here.         

EU residence document for interns from the EU

Interns with EU/EEA citizenship must apply for an EU residence document if they will be staying in Denmark for more than three months. European interns must apply as ‘persons with sufficient funds’ (financially self-supporting), not as students, as they are not enrolled at AU. The application form for a residence document (form OD1) is available on the website of the Agency for International Recruitment and Integration (SIRI). 

In order to be eligible for health insurance benefits, etc., the applicant should apply for an EU residence document as soon as possible after arrival in Denmark. 

Residence permits for non-EU interns


Non-EU/EEA may not begin an internship without a valid residence permit. This means that interns may not begin an internship on a tourist visa – or if they have a residence permit for another EU country, for example. Residency must be granted specifically for a stay at AU. It’s possible to get a residency and work permit as an internship if the internship is assessed as academically relevant. The list of criteria below is not exhaustive, so you should always check SIRI’s website for detailed, up-to-date information. You will find a letter of invitation template under ‘Additional information about PR3’. You can fill out details about job responsibilities, education and training plan, etc.

·       Interns must be at least 18 years of age and under 35 year of age at the time of application.

·       The purpose of the internship must be to supplement a degree programme which the intern has already commenced in their home country.

·       The internship must have an academic and temporal connection to the degree programme already commenced in the intern’s home country. In other words, the internship must be academically relevant to the internship’s studies.

·       Salary and employment conditions must be standard under the applicable collective agreements for interns. If the intern is employed in an unpaid internship, they must document that they are able to support themselves for the duration of the internship.

·       The description of the intern’s work responsibilities and a training programme must be attached to the application.

·       A description of how the internship supplements the degree programme in which the intern is enrolled in their home country must be attached to the application.

·       Internship work and residency permits are valid for a maximum of 18 months, which may include an extension. Permits will not be granted for a period longer than the internship. Permits may not be extended beyond 18 months.

·       If the intern switches employers during the internship, they must apply for a new work and residency permit before beginning the new internship. 

You will find helpful tips and advice about the application process below. Contact with any question about applications for residence permits for interns.

The application process

Use the digital application form, which will automatically direct you to the PR3 form. You will find tips on how to fill out the form below. 

Digital application form

Digital employee signature/NemID is required. Further information

AU starts the application process by logging on to the online application form using NemID. AU is responsible for filling out part 1 of the application form, attaching the necessary documentation and signing the application with NemID. 

A reference number and password to part 2 of the application will then be sent to AU to be forwarded to the applicant.

The applicant then logs in and completes part 2 of the application, pays the fee, and attaches the necessary documentation and states the case processing ID. The case processing ID is used to link the application and the associated fee payment electronically. Next, the applicant can sign the application (with NemID if they have it or by scanning a signed printout of the declarations in the application) and submit it. The application must be completed and submitted no later than 30 days after the internship host starts filling it out.

Note that SIRI can take up to 60 days to process an application. For this reason, we recommend that applications be submitted three months before the date the internship is scheduled to begin. The intern may not begin the internship before authorisation has been issued and received.

Only foreign internships who already reside in Denmark have NemID.

Questions about the internship host

Select the response ‘yes’ to the question of whether there are other interns at the host organisation, and select ‘do not know’ for the number of interns at the host organisation.

Select ‘do not know’ for whether multiple internships have been applied for.

Respond ‘yes’ for whether the host organisation has been approved. The supplementary questions must be answered (for example, ‘do not know’), and it is not necessary to attach documentation of AU’s approval as host organisation.  As an educational institution, AU is automatically approved.

Passport requirements

A residency permit will only be granted or extended until three months before the passport expires. This means, for example, that if your passport will expire in 12 months, a residency permit can only be granted for nine months or extended for nine months. 

Documentation requirements

A list of the documents that must be uploaded/attached by AU and the applicant respectively is available on SIRI’s website and on the application form.

Application fee

Normally, it is necessary to pay an application fee. Both SIRI and the embassy where biometrics are recorded, charge a fee.

Application processing

SIRI begins processing the application after it has been submitted. This normally takes two months, provided that the application has been completed correctly. The two-month period is calculated from the day on which SIRI receives all relevant information and the applicant has visited the embassy to have biometrics recorded.

Approval of the internship

SIRI will issue approval of the internship after the application has been processed. The approval will be sent to the application via the embassy, and AU will receive a copy. 

It is important that both the intern and the host (AU) make sure they understand the conditions on which the approval is granted. If the conditions are not fulfilled, this may have major consequences for the intern and for AU.

Contact with any question about applications for residence permits for interns.

Additional information about PR3

While a letter of invitation to interns is not a requirement, it is a simple way to gather information about the intern. 

Guest Researcher Support has developed a template on which you can base your letter. 



It is a good idea for the intern to begin searching for housing well before the internship begins. AU has a website that describes the various housing options available to interns. It is available here. Contact AU Housing with questions about housing for interns.



We recommend that all interns take out private full-time liability and accident insurance. Generally speaking, interns are not covered by the Consolidated Workers’ Compensation Act. However, there are a number of exceptions which should be investigated on a case-by-case basis. If in doubt, contact AU HR, Employment Law.