Corona/Covid-19 - FAQ and chat for students


If you didn’t find an answer to your question, you can use the chat tool in the bottom right corner.
We're online weekdays 8 am-4 pm.

In general

I need to talk to someone. Who can I talk to?

You are always welcome to talk to a student counsellor about your concerns - even though face-to-dace meetings are not possible at the moment. On your study portal, you can read more about how to contact your local student counsellor.

There are also other possibilities:

At the Studenterrådgivningen, you can get online and telephone counselling. In addition, AU Helpline and the university chaplains are ready to chat to you (you can also talk to the university chaplains over the phone).

How do I adjust my study habits to the new situation?

If you need help adjusting to your the current situation and to new forms of teaching and learning, Studypedia has put together some tips on remote learning:


I have become ill, what should I do?

If you become so ill that it affects your ability to follow the regular classes ( i.e. the alternative solutions offered), you need to contact your local studies administration. They can guide you on how to apply for dispensation.


If you suspect that you have been infected with the coronavirus, follow the advice of the authorities.


Can I attend classes?

Aarhus University has temporarily discontinued all face-to-face educational activities on the three campuses in Herning, Emdrup and Aarhus from Thursday 12 March 2020.

The university campuses will remain closed for students up to and including 13 April 2020.

How will my classes take place in the coming weeks?

As far as possible, classes will be switched to other learning formats and forms of instruction. These might include more detailed study guides, assignments or video conferences on Blackboard. You will receive information from your faculty and in your course forum on Blackboard. Here, you lecturer will keep you informed of how the teaching will be conducted during the physical closure of AU.

Can I meet with my study group?

The Danish health authorities advise everyone to practice social distancing. For this reason, Aarhus University strongly encourages students to use digital platforms for study group meetings. Students can use Skype for Business, which is part of the Office 365, for online meetings with multiple participants. Study groups can also meet on Messenger, Facetime, and similar tools.    

I'm doing an internship or a project-based course – what should I do?

As a rule, you have the opportunity to complete you internship, but it depends on the circumstances at your host organisation. Please follow their guidelines.

If you can't complete your internship, please contact your local studies administration to find out what you need to do.

What happens if an entire degree programme is delayed?

Aarhus University will follow the guidelines set out on the authorities’ official coronavirus site. If you are unable to complete your degree programme within the maximum degree completion time because of this extraordinary situation, you will be given an opportunity to extend your degree completion time, even though the official maximum degree completion time has been exceeded. 

Students can also apply for supplements to the monthly SU grant. However, it is important to stress that individual applicants will be evaluated on the background of their specific situation. You must be able to document that there is a causal relationship between the coronavirus situation and the delay.

What do I do if I can’t come to class and active participation in teaching activities is either a prerequisite for taking the exam or constitutes the exam itself?

We are working to find alternative solutions, so that classes will can be taught online or postponed, for example. Keep an eye on your study portal or Blackboard.

I work part-time in the healthcare sector. What should I do about my classes and exams if I’m called in for extra shifts?

If you can’t participate in obligatory course elements or an exam, you can apply for an exemption and present relevant documentation, for example your work schedule.   

I can’t go to the lab to work on my experiments, which are part of my assignment. What should I do?

Talk to your supervisor about what you should do, and whether it’s possible for you to do a more theoretical assignment instead.    

I’m a first-year student and there are some courses I have to pass in my first year. How will the fact that I can’t come to class affect the first-year exam?

Right now, everyone is working hard to find solutions and either switch the teaching and exams to various alternative solutions or to conduct the teaching and exams at a later date. Keep an eye on your study portal or Blackboard for more information.    

Should I postpone applying for the exemptions I was planning to apply for before students and employees were sent home from the university?

No, you should apply for any relevant exemptions you anticipate that you will need during your normal course of studies.  


How will the current situation affect my exams this semester?

All written on-site examinations will be offered in a different form during the period in which in-person teaching activities are cancelled. You will receive information from your degree programme about how on-site examinations will be held instead. See also the answer to the question about fixed-term take-home exams.

We are in the process of finding the best possible solutions in relation to other planned exams – both oral and written – this semester in the event that the suspension of in-person teaching activities continues longer than announced. Our goal is for the summer exams to be held as planned as much as possible, and we will do everything we can to ensure that there are alternatives within the same time period in the event that this does not turn out to be possible.

I am signed up to participate in a written exam with a time limit, but I can’t participate either in full or in part due to the COVID-19 situation. How should I deal with this?

If your fixed-term exam is scheduled to take place while on-campus academic activities are suspended, and you are unable to participate on an equal footing with others, you will have a chance to take the exam later. The exam will not count as an extra examination attempt if you can document that the COVID-19 situation made it impossible for you to participate in the regularly scheduled exam.     

I’m going to be taking an exam for the third time. If I can’t come to the exam because of the coronavirus, is there a risk that I could be expelled from the university?

As long as the university can’t offer you a way to take the exam because of the coronavirus, you will not be expelled. If you can’t participate because you get sick yourself or are quarantined, contact your studies administration office as quickly as possible, in accordance with the rules. Check your study portal for more information.     

Master's thesis

I’m working on my Master’s thesis, but I’m having problems because of the COVID-19 situation –What do I need to do?

In the first place, you should contact your supervisor for help in completing your Master’s thesis on time. This might involve adjustments at the theoretical or methodological level, in the literature you draw on or other scientific/scholarly aspects of the project.

If there are extraordinary circumstances your supervisor cannot help you mitigate,you can apply for an extension of the deadline for submission. As always when applying for exemptions, you must document that special circumstances apply.

The university will perform a concrete assessment of your situation, including, for example, the following circumstances:

  • Inability to gather empirical data, lack of access to source material or inability to continue lab work. As documentation, you must attach a statement from your supervisor.
  • Participation in the emergency services (performing critical social functions in connection with the COVID-19 situation) As documentation, you must attach confirmation from your place of employment.
  • If you are the primary caregiver for a child/children who has been sent home from daycare/school. As documentation, you must attach a solemn declaration.
  • Long-term illness As documentation, you must attach a statement from your doctor.

Continuing and further education

I am enrolled on a part-time degree programme - does the cancellation of teaching activities, etc. also affect me?

Yes, part-time students are also affected, and we are working on offering alternative teaching sessions. Starting on Monday 16 March, the university will transition into alternative teaching formats and online instruction. You will receive more information from your faculty. You should also check your course forum on Blackboard. Your teacher will inform you on the alternative arrangements for teaching sessions in the coming weeks.  

Will there be extra teaching up to the exam? What about the summer exam?

We are still working on finding the best possible solutions. For now, our best advice is to keep up to date through your usual information channels, including your course forum on Blackboard.

Can I still send an application for the courses on offer this autumn?

Yes, you can still apply through the digital application system for all courses open for applications. For access, go to the degree programme websites:

Arts: (only in Danish)

Aarhus BSS:

Health: (only in Danish)

Natural Sciences: (only in Danish)

Technical Sciences:  (only in Danish)

Can I talk to someone on the phone or in person for guidance on my application?

No, unfortunately not because of the corona situation, but you are welcome to send us an email, and we will get back to you as quickly as possible.



Aarhus BSS


Natural Sciences and Technical Sciences




I am collecting documentation for my application, but I am experiencing longer processing times due to corona. What do I do if the application deadline expires before I can get hold of the documents?

Fortunately, there is still some time left before the deadline for applications expires, but if, due to the coronavirus outbreak, you are unable to obtain certain documents in due time, you will have to submit your application along with the other documentation via the digital application system and upload a substitute document in place of the missing document. The substitute document must describe what documentation you are trying to obtain and include a message from the relevant authority indicating their processing time.

Can the corona situation affect application deadlines and processing times?

At the moment, the application deadline for continuing and further education programmes offered in the autumn has not changed, and the processing time of approx. six weeks after the application deadline is likely to be maintained. However, unforeseen developments may occur, so we recommend that you keep an eye on our websites:

Arts: (only in Danish)

Aarhus BSS:

Health:  (only in Danish)

Natural Sciences:  (only in Danish)

Technical Sciences:  (only in Danish)


I'm ill and need documentation from my doctor, but can't get access to it because of the COVID-19 situation – what should I do?

Try to get a consultation with your doctor online or by phone. If this is not possible, you must complete a solemn declaration stating that you are ill and are therefore unable to meet your normal requirements for the degree programme. You will find the solemn declaration here. If you need to document long-term illness, we may have to postpone consideration of your application for an exemption until you are able to get a doctor's certificate. In that case, you will receive further information from studies administration about this after you submit your application.    

Access to the university

Do I have access to the buildings, libraries etc. on campus?


Aarhus University is physically closed and unfortunately you do not have access to the buildings.

You can still use the libraries’ electronic resources. Read more at Or go directly to the Royal Library's website and log in via WAYF. Then you get remote access to all the library's databases.   

How do I get remote access to the library's databases?

All students who need to search for literature in the library's databases can access them via the Royal Library's website

Students should always log in via WAYF (never NemID, which doesn’t give remote access to the library’s databases).

If you do not already have a user account, you will be asked to create one the first time you log in.

If you have problems accessing the literature subsequently, send an email to Ask the Library ( 

Can I pick up material or belongings at the library?

The libraries at AU are closed. The staff have been sent home. If you have materials you need in lockers, study spaces and so on, contact the libraries via this link.

More information about borrowing, turning in materials and events:


What impact does the corona crisis have on my SU?

The Danish Agency for Institutions and Educational Grants has made an FAQ with up-to-date information on SU in relation to the current corona crisis:

I have ended my stay abroad ahead of time due to coronavirus. What about my place of residence and SU grant?

The general rules on residence and SU grants still apply. This means that if you move in with your parents after living abroad, you are entitled to the SU grant for students living at home. If you have declared a special residence status at minSU, you must update the information on your special residence status on minSU. Please note that your SU grant for a specific month (i.e. whether you will receive an SU grant for students living at home or for students living away from home) depends on the place of residence on which you are registered on the first day of the month in question. This means that if you move in with your parents in the middle of March, you will receive an SU grant for students living at home as of April.    

I have returned to Denmark from my studies abroad before planned due to the Corona virus. Should I return my Study Abroad Grant (udlandsstipendium)?

If the foreign university reimburses your payment for tuition fully or partly you may have to repay an amount of your Study Abroad Grant (udlandsstipendium). In this case, please send documentation for this to

It is important that you send us a copy of your receipt for payment of tuition no later than 6 weeks after terminating your studies abroad. Failure to do this will result in a request to return your Study Abroad Grant.

What will happen to my Study Abroad Grant (udlandsstipendium) if I don’t get full credit for my semester abroad due to Corona virus?

Please contact your local student center in relation to your credit issue.  The Study Abroad Grant is granted on the basis of your factual expenses to tuition, which you must be able to document.

If the foreign university reimburses your payment for tuition fully or partly you may have to repay an amount of your Study Abroad Grant (udlandsstipendium). In this case please send documentation for this to

It is essential that you send us a copy of your receipt for payment of tuition no later than 6 weeks after terminating your studies abroad. Failure to do this will result in a request to return your Study Abroad Grant.

Admission to bachelor's and master's degree programmes

I have applied – or plan to apply – for a degree programme at Aarhus University. What should I do in the light of the corona situation?

In case of changes that you need to be aware of, information will be available on the following websites:  

Information for applicants for Bachelor’s degree programmes

Information for applicants for Master’s degree programmes

AU Summer University

Do you foresee any disruptions/changes to your summer programme?

AU Summer University is currently not anticipating any changes to the 2020 programme.

What are the deadlines for applying to AU Summer University?


The application deadline is 1 April 12 Noon CET. From 1 - 5 May, there is a second round of applications where you can apply to courses with available places.

We recommend that you apply before 1 April at noon (Danish time) to make sure that you have access to the entire course selection.

For partner universities, our nomination deadline is 25 March to allow your nominated students time to complete the application before the deadline.

Can students cancel their registrations after 1 April due to the coronavirus?


Yes,  students from other universities than AU may cancel their registrations and get a full refund without having to provide an explanation up to two weeks before the course begins.


The application deadline for housing is 1 May.

If you are unable to meet the deadline, please contact AU Housing at, and we will guide you from there.

If you accept an offer of accommodation, you are allowed decline it and get a refund up to two weeks before the start of the lease.

Is the university able to accept late nominations from partner universities due to the coronavirus?

Partner universities that may not be able to meet our current nomination and application deadlines due to the coronavirus are welcome to contact us at, so we can find a solution. If possible, we would be happy to help you place your students on relevant courses in Aarhus after our deadline.

Who can answer my questions about AU Summer University 2020?

If you have any questions about AU Summer University 2020, please send an email to

International full degree students

I am an international student at AU – can I stay in Denmark?

Yes, you can stay in Denmark and continue your studies at AU. Staying in Denmark may be the best option for you. Travel options are limited, and you risk bringing corona contagion with you if you leave.  

I am an international student at AU currently staying in another country – can I enter Denmark now that the borders are closed?

If you hold a Danish residence permit, you can enter Denmark.


Please consult the following website for additional information

What if my studies are extended, will I have to pay tuition for another semester?

No. Tuition fees corresponding to 30 ECTS credits are paid in advance for each semester until the degree programme has been paid for, regardless of delays relative to the prescribed standard period of study.  

Exchange students at AU

I am an exchange student at AU currently staying in another country – can I enter Denmark now that the borders are closed?


The Danish government closed the country’s borders until 13 April in order to reduce the impact of the coronavirus. If you are an exchange student at AU, and you are currently outside of Denmark, please contact the AU International Office at as soon as possible. We will assist with clarifying your options for returning to Denmark at this time.

What do I do if I wish to cancel my exchange at AU?

Some exchange students may wish to return home and cancel their exchange at AU. If this applies to you, please contact us as quickly as possible at If you wish to cancel your housing, please write to

I am an exchange student at AU - can I continue my studies?

AU is closed physically and all on-campus activities are suspended at least through 27 March. AU is working hard to prepare the digital solutions needed to offer online courses and exams. You will be notified when your online teaching is in place.  

Travels and studying abroad - for AU students

I'm on exchange abroad, what should I do?

On 13 March the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Denmark announced that all Danish residents should return home as soon as possible as flights to Denmark may be suspended for a longer period of time due to the risk of corona contagion.

You may complete your stay abroad

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Denmark has clarified that this does not necessarily apply to students on exchange. Exchange students are considered residents abroad and not tourists or travellers.

What to consider when you make your decision?

It is your decision whether you want to stay abroad or come back to Denmark. The Danish authorities recommend that you take the following into consideration when making your decision:

  • The quality and the capacity of the healthcare system in your host country
  • The planned end date of your stay abroad. If the semester at you host institution is about to end, you may risk that many flights are cancelled when you want to leave.
  • Is your host university still offering courses, or has it closed down? If it is closed, it may be better to return to Denmark now.

What do you need to do if you choose to stay?

The coronavirus is unpredictable and moving quickly. AU recommends that you:

  • Register on “Danskerlisten” – the list of Danes abroad. Danskerlisten is the fastest way for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Denmark to send you important information and updates about the country in which you are located.
  • Follow the advice of your host institution and the local authorities of your host country
  • Follow the updates on AU’s website on the coronavirus
  • Stay in close and continuous contact with your relatives and your network to make sure that both you and they feel safe.

I am studying abroad and my host institution has physically closed - how do I obtain my ECTS points?

Many host universities are closing down, and many of those offer online delivery of classes instead. We recommend that you find out if your host university is offering online classes for you, and so ensure that you can achieve your planned amount of ECTS.  

I am studying abroad or doing an internship abroad on an Erasmus grant and I want to end my stay before the semester ends

If your classes at the host university are cancelled due to the coronavirus, or if you are staying in a country where the virus is spreading, you may want to end your stay. If this is the case, you might be able to keep your Erasmus grant in full or in part because this is a case of force majeure. Please send an email to if you have any questions.  

I’ve planned a semester abroad in Autumn 2020. Can I go?

We expect that trips in the autumn can be carried out as planned, but the situation keeps changing, so AU encourages students to keep updated in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Denmark’s travel guidelines for the country in question ( If the situation is still unresolved and the student can’t go on exchange, it is still possible to stay home and complete the semester at AU. It won’t be possible for you to arrange an alternative exchange agreement. The reason for this is that many students may end up being affected and that we are unable to predict whether an alternative destination will also be affected by the coronavirus. If you need to talk to someone about your situation, please contact your international coordinator.

Travel insurance and reimbursement of travel expenses

You need to contact your insurance company to find out how you are covered by your travel insurance. Your coverage will depend on your insurance policy and the Ministry’s travel guidelines for the country in question. The insurance company can tell you what to do if you are already abroad and want to end your stay ahead of time, or if you are going abroad and want to cancel your upcoming stay.

Most travel insurance companies have created websites with information about travel insurance and coronavirus.    

Faculty travel scholarship/travel grant

If you choose to interrupt or cancel your stay abroad because your classes at the host university are cancelled due to the coronavirus or if you are staying in a country where the virus is spreading, you do not meet the criteria for granting a faculty scholarship/ travel grant. However, AU has decided that the scholarship may be used to cover extra expenses that are not covered by your travel insurance.

Please contact the international coordinator at your faculty to find out more about additional documentation requirements.

PhD students

Where do I find more information about travel and entry into Denmark as an international PhD student?


Find targeted information on travel and entry into Denmark for international employees, PhD students and guests at . You can find additional information on Aarhus University's website for employees at