Trips and stays abroad



All non-essential travel in Denmark as well as abroad for staff and students has been stopped.

If you are planning stays abroad or other types of travel in the time to come, and if you have questions in relation to this, please contact your immediate supervisor.

Aarhus University follows the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Denmark’s guidelines. 


Read also the information on travel insurance below.


During official trips, AU employees are covered by the travel insurance policy for Danish government employees (Statens Tjenesterejseforsikring) which is administered by the insurance company Europæiske.

Europæiske has made an FAQ based on the questions they have received in connection with the coronavirus. This FAQ can be found here.

If you choose not to return to Denmark
If your manager orders you home to Denmark, but you choose not to comply with management’s instructions to end your official trip and return to Denmark immediately (or as soon as possible), your trip will be reclassified as a private trip from the time at which it would have been possible for you to travel back to Denmark. All expenses relating to the rest of your stay will subsequently be considered private expenses, and you will no longer be covered by the travel insurance policy for Danish government employees on official trips. This means that it is your responsibility to take out private travel insurance.

If you travel to your home country
If you travel to your home country (other than Denmark) with your management’s approval because of corona/covid-19 and work from home (from your home country), this will be considered a private trip and not an official trip. This means that you are not covered by the university’s travel insurance policy during your trip. We recommend that you take out your own insurance. You must also contact the IT support team at AU for assistance on how to access AU’s systems correctly.

If you have specific questions in relation to the travel insurance and you cannot find the answers on Europæiske’s website, please contact Anja Sandholt Hald

Social security

Udbetaling Danmark – the Public Benefits Administration and the Danish Ministry of Employment have assessed that you keep your Danish social security, even though you have to work from home much more than normal for a period. Therefore, it is not necessary to apply for special agreements pursuant to Article 16 to confirm which country covers your social security.

You retain your Danish social security regardless of how much you work from home in the period in which the government has sent public employees home and advised private companies to send employees home who can work from home. Therefore, the point of departure is that your social security in Denmark remains unchanged throughout this extraordinary period in which you are working from home to comply with recommendations from the government.

If, during this extraordinary period, you have an A1 certificate under Article 13 or an Øresund agreement that is about to expire and you have to apply for an extension, you should apply with the same percentage distribution as agreed for normal circumstances. This means that you do not have to change your percentage distribution because you are now in a 100%-at-home period. Just apply in the normal manner and disregard this extraordinary situation in which you are working much more in your country of residence.