Quality assurance at Aarhus University is based on Aarhus University's vision for education and learning, and is supported by the following principles:
- Overall responsibility for quality assurance and its documentation lies with the study programme director, and is carried out in collaboration between the management, board of studies, staff and students.
- Quality assurance starts with the meeting between the students and the academic staff, who are the primary participants in the quality assurance and the development of the degree programmes. The university is characterised by having highly qualified staff, for whom quality assurance is an integrated part of the activities of the university.
- Going forward, quality assurance is founded on professionalism, dialogue and knowledge sharing. Quality assurance supports a systematic and sustained development of quality within the entire field of education and it also contains sufficient retrospective focus to meet the legislative requirements regarding documentation.
- External stakeholders are involved on an ongoing basis as part of the evaluation and development of quality assurance.
- The prerequisite for successful systematic quality assurance is that the specific objectives contained in related sub-policies are interpreted, clarified and carried out by the involved parties at all levels of the organisation on the basis of a clear division of responsibilities.
- The relevant management level must ensure that the necessary resources are available in relation to execution and evaluation of quality assurance.
- The ENQA standards are used as the starting point of quality assurance, and are characterised by co-determination, openness and transparency.
Quality assurance in the field of education is divided into five sub-sections: 1. Recruitment and admission, 2. Structure and process, 3. Development of education, teaching and learning environment, 4. Study environment and 5. The relation between the degree programmes and the labour market. A range of objectives specifying common values for quality assurance have been formulated for each sub-section.